Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Spotted @ Ontario Airport

I got in from Manchester at 8:30PM PDT this evening. It's about a 1/4 mile walk to the auto rental building, so I hoofed it in the 70 degree night air. I glanced at the tracks immediately adjacent the airport to the north; they were quiet. Most every time I come through I see at least one stack train headed west, 2 flared, flagged & winged on the front, and one on the rear.

I got this week's car (a Caliber with 41K miles - rides fine but that new car smell is increasingly becoming a hit-or-miss proposition. I can't wait to pick up a new ChrysFiat, just so I can hear something rattle and I can shout "Fix It Again Tony")

I left the car rental area and drove west along the tracks. It's a good 2-2.5 mile stretch along the airport. As I was driving I noticed a signal in my rear view mirror - red-over-yellow, indicating something was headed east. I always thought UP had directional running around the airport: WB on the north track, EB on the track just south of the airport.

Just before i was to cross over to I-10 and my hotel for the evening, the gates lowered and headlights approached. This lead unit wasn't reflecting as a normal UP unit reflects at night - too many horizontal stripes. The unit got closer and I was treated to the SP Heritage Unit, pulling two other UP units and nothing else. I assume they were headed for Colton.

Well that's 2 heritage units in a week - WP and SP. The signs bode well for HAPTapalooza 2009.

TONIGHT'S BEER - Sierra Nevada Porter, fresh from the brewery in Chico CA.

Wheelman ... out

No comments:

Welcome to HAPT's Railfan Adventures


The Hebron Any Power Team is actually just a bunch of fun-loving rail enthusiasts who enjoy photographing and chasing all things railroad with friends. This bunch of guys cover a lot of ground for a group based way up "nawth" in Maine. We also have friends scattered around the country who contribute well to our hobby. In fact, our name is derived from our actual friends in the Worcester Foreign Power Team, except that Hebron hasn't seen a train since the 1950's so we'll settle for "any power".

Welcome and enjoy the eclectic collections of the contributors. Maine idealizes "life in the slow lane" so we present this blog as an effort to share our less time sensitive findings and to add to our hobby.