Saturday, March 8, 2008

The "Bad Penny"



Here's my short photo story of a unit that just kept showing up. Quincy Bay Terminal U-Boat #21. I think I made one trip to deliberately see the QBT, one deliberate trip to see QBT units at Danville Jct., two deliberate trips to the Conway Scenic, and several casual trips to the SLR to catch these images. At no time did I set out thinking I wanted to see that unit! It might have been different had I known it would be the shiny "new" unit on the CSR at their 2006 Railfan Days.

Don't you just hate it when someone abandons their vehicle right in your photo! This was a trip the Wheelman and I made to Quincy to meet with the creator of the NERail Photo Archive. The image is a scan of the engine house area, not the abandoned van. #21 barely shows up above the van. Dec. 2000


Here a good chunk of the QBT's roster is sitting at Danville Jct. interchange enroute to the New Hampshire Central. Fore River took over operations in Quincy so the units were headed to new homes. I actually wanted to see the Alco, not these guys. Oh, well. It's still unusual for these here parts. I think this is 2003 or 2004.

This time our hero was a true surprise on a normal "drive by" at Lewiston Jct. Who would have guessed the SLR would have any use for a GE. Even better, they used it as the South Paris switcher for a while. (I couldn't scan those slides today). All the while I thought it was in North Stratford or on the way. Two nice surprises in total.


In 2005, sometime just about the time my old Olympus SLR died, another HAPT member and I went to the Conway Scenic for something to do. I don't recall being surprised to see the unit this time thanks to internet chatter, but again, that's not why we went to the CSR. This was the last time we saw it in it's faded paint. Little did I know it would be the sharp unit it became in 2006, as seen at the top of the post.

BC - Trying to stave off cabin fever today!

No comments:

Welcome to HAPT's Railfan Adventures


The Hebron Any Power Team is actually just a bunch of fun-loving rail enthusiasts who enjoy photographing and chasing all things railroad with friends. This bunch of guys cover a lot of ground for a group based way up "nawth" in Maine. We also have friends scattered around the country who contribute well to our hobby. In fact, our name is derived from our actual friends in the Worcester Foreign Power Team, except that Hebron hasn't seen a train since the 1950's so we'll settle for "any power".

Welcome and enjoy the eclectic collections of the contributors. Maine idealizes "life in the slow lane" so we present this blog as an effort to share our less time sensitive findings and to add to our hobby.